“It is better to build boys and girls than to repair men and women.”
Aldersgate Evangelical Center, Inc. is a non-profit faith-based organization for the promotion and development of holiness and Christian character in the lives of children, youth, and adults. Founded in 1972, it is an interdenominational Christian ministry in the Methodist-Holiness tradition. Aldersgate’s main goal and focus are the conversion to Jesus Christ and the discipleship of those who attend. The Aldersgate philosophy also includes Christian socialization and the development of lasting Godly supportive friendships. Core values include belief in holiness, conservatism, modesty of life and dress, and a discipleship approach to each of its activities and ministries.
Statement of Faith
- The Bible is the inspired, infallible Word of God, inerrant in the original, and the final authority for our lives today. It is not limited to spiritual, religious, or redemptive themes but is also comprised of true history, revelation, and prophecy, and is an accurate record of both things past and things to come.
- There is one God, self-existent, revealed in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit who are co-equal and co-eternal, each with full divinity and personhood.
- God created the heavens and the earth, and all contained therein, in six literal days. God is active and involved with the world and His creation today. Humankind was a special creation by God, made in His own image, with both a soul and a body. What He created was perfect, and through the Fall of humankind, sin entered the world, and corrupted all of creation.
- Because of the Fall, humanity is depraved and inherently evil, and is in desperate need of a Savior. This depravity of soul and spiritual death is a universal inheritance and without the salvation provided by Christ Jesus our Lord, humankind will spend eternity in Hell.
- Jesus is the only Son of God, became man, conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. Through His death, He provided the way of Salvation for all humanity. He died on the cross in a vicarious atonement for all mankind and rose again bodily, conquering death. All who receive Him are saved by His blood, become children of God, and look forward to a future resurrection and an eternal reward in Heaven. Christ ascended into heaven and will personally return in the Second Coming.
- Justification is provided through Christ’s atonement for all who repent and believe. Each individual is free not only to reject salvation but also to accept it by an act of human will. Humankind is saved by grace, through faith, in contrition, repentance, and acceptance of God’s forgiveness through Christ’s atonement. The Holy Spirit assures the individual of his salvation directly, through an inner “experience”. Salvation is not guaranteed once for all, but is contingent upon continued obedience to God.
- Christians in this life are capable of Christian perfection and are commanded by God to pursue it (full salvation). Through sanctification, the heart is cleansed from all sin and filled with the pure love of the Holy Spirit. Entire sanctification is an instantaneous work of grace wrought in the believer through faith, after one is born again, and witnessed to by the Holy Spirit. There is to be a progressive growth in grace toward Christian maturity through a consistent Christian life of faith and good works.
- Speaking in unknown tongues in public or private worship (including “prayer language”) contradicts Biblical teaching. The practice or promotion of such is not permitted. (While we do not endorse modern charismatic practices, we do maintain warm hearted Christian fellowship with those who do).
- Heaven and Hell are real places of eternal consequence. There will be a resurrection and glorification of the saints and an eternal punishment of the wicked.
- We support and practice the ordinances instituted by Christ: water baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- The Bible is clear regarding marital faithfulness and monogamy. God ordained marriage to be one man and one woman for life. Promiscuity, fornication, and homosexual acts and lifestyle are condemned by God’s word, and are prohibited for believers.